Razmafzar is a non-political and non-religious organization consisting of an international team. The dedicated members are from all around the world. The Razmafzar organization is a multiethnic, multicultural and multireligious group of people dedicated to the study of historical martial arts, weaponry and military history of Persia/Iran with its various traditions, mutual influences of different ethnic groups and historical events. The team and training members work on different research projects observing the highest academic standards. Additionally, they practice different sections of historical martial arts of Iran both on theoretical and practical levels. The target of Razmafzar is to do research on historical weapons, military history and martial traditions of Persia/Iran and to present it to the general public.
Razmafzar: Historical Weapon Research of Persian culture, Military History of Iran, Historical Martial Arts and Tactics from Iran
Mission statement: To analyze and understand the mechanics of weapon development, their related techniques and military tactics and doctrines from the Bronze Age to the End of the Qajar period in Iran.
Disciplines: The academic disciplines include exprimental archaeology, metallurgy, art history, military history and a study of tactics and strategies.
I) Historical Weapon Technology: This field encompasses a wide range of topics:
· Casting copper and bronze weapons (analysis and application of different methods),
· Casting iron weapons (analysis),
· Early steel and bloom steel production,
· Crucible steel (analysis of different methods of production and application),
· Identification of different crucible steel patterns based on extant examples in Iranian museums and also manuscripts.
· Construction of composite bows (different methods and the analysis of Persian bow construction),
· Construction methods of different parts of armor (mail armor construction, plate armor construction, construction of hide shield and steel shield).
· Different construction methods of pattern welded steel for making barrels for historical firearms and casting cannons.
· Identifiction of histocial wpon makers, smiths and gunmakers.
· Identification and cooperation with contemporary smiths and possibly bowyers in Iran
II) Classification and Identification of Historical Weapons: This field encompasses a wide range of topics. The analysis is based on research on extant exampls in Iranian museums and abroad as well as collections. Additionally, all historical weapons depicted on miniatures, dishware, jugs, reliefs, etc.:
· Classification of arrowheads from the Bronze Age until the end of the Qajar period.
· Classification of different types of bows from the Bronze Age to the end of the Qajar period.
· Classification of spear- and lanceheads from the Bronze Ag to the end of the Qajar perod.
· Classification of different types of short edgd weapons (daggers and knives) from the Bronze Age to the end of the Qajar period.
· Classification of different types of swords (short and long swords) from the Bronze Age to the end of the Qajar period.
· Classification of different types of axes and maces from the Bronze Age to the end of the Qajar period.
· Classification of different types of shields from the Bronze Age to the end of the Qajar period.
· Classification of different types of short helmets from the Bronze Age to the end of the Qajar period.
· Classification of different types of short body, arm and leg armor from the Bronze Age to the end of the Qajar period.
· Classification and identifcation of siege engines such as catapults, ballistas, etc.
· Classification of different types of historical firearms (matchlocks, flintlocks, percussion cap locks, cannons, rockts, etc.)
III) A Linguistic Analysis of all arms-and-armor-related terms and terminology: These terms are described on stone reliefs, historical objects and manuscripts: This field provides a thorough analysis of different types of weapons as described in Persian texts and manuscripts. This provides the readers of other fields to have a thorough understanding of the nature of each weapon as described in Persian manuscripts. Dr. Khorasani has already found and described 5700 terms related to weapon types, technology and production encompassing Old Persian, Avestan, Middle Persian and New Persian terms that were published as a lexcion titled “Lexicon of Arms and Armor from Iran: A Study of Symbols and Terminology”. This book won the book priz2 of Iranian Studies in 2012. Dr. Khorsani has also written three print articles (two are co-authored) related to this field in leading academic and cultural journals
IV) Warrior Codex and Techniques applied to use each type of weapons: This field is a wide range. It analyzes the warrior codex of javānmardi. It lso anlayzes how each type of the above-mentioned weapons were used in practice. This research is based on n anylsis of the techniques as described in manuscripts, shown in miniatures and other artifacts, and also through experimental archaeology and use by experienced martial artists. This field also includes a thorough analysis of war wrestling techniques as used on battlefelds. Dr. Khorasani has done years of resarch in this field publishing a ground-breaking book titled Persian Archery and Swordsmanship: Historical Martial Arts of Iran:
· The use of different types arrowheads in warfare and techniques of archery (arrowheads against amor, soft targets, etc).
· Techniques related to the use of straight and long swords.
· Close-quarter combat weapons and the applied techniques.
· Techniques of heavy weapons such as axes and maces against armored opponents.
· The usage of spears and lances.
· Fightng against heavily-armored opponents.
· Mounted archery and mounted combat.
· Techniques of war wrestling on foot and on horseback.
V) Analysis of Battlfields, Military Doctrines, Tactics and Strategies: This field deals with how national culture influenced Iranian military doctrines, tactics and strategies and how national pics such as th Shahnameh influenced Persian kings. This field lso analyzes other fields related to strategies and tactics to be used as comparativ research. Additionally, this section deals with a thorough analysis of symbols as depicted on Persian arms and armor as well as the significance of inscriptions written on historical arms and armor.
© M.Khorasani Consulting